Tuesday 31 May 2016

Mast-erfully done

Or at least pretty okay-ily done. (Oak-ily done?)
Masts on Essence, guns on Expeditious. I found the cardboard too hard to work with, so I switched to paper for Expeditious's guns.
 14 British 24pdrs a side. A broadside weight of 336!(Or do you give both sides together for weight of metal?) Plus two long 9s for bow chasers.
And Expeditious's dear surprise - two long 12 stern chasers! You get abaft of this ship, you're asking for it.

I was all set to drill some holes for the masts, and then I realized, oh god, I don't want to do that. So instead I just used a small pin and wedged the masts in. And since the masts were made the same height (whoops), I just set them at different depths to somewhat counteract that. The bowsprit will need to be glued but the rest are solid.
And this doesn't look like much, but I've got the spars attached to the masts. There may be a better way to do this, but I'm fine with this so far. The next step, I'll make some notches in the spars and glue them to the masts. The sails are still just plain paper, at this point, and honestly, they may stay that way.

No comments:

Post a Comment