Thursday 14 July 2016

Machteld

As I mentioned, Civil, after all my abuse of her, matched the dimensions of a captured Danish ship called either Elben, Elven, or Elvin, depending on whom you ask and whom she was sailed by. Regardless, there's not much information on the ship. The British made a draft of her semi-sister Gluckstadt.
But it's not complete. However, thanks to the absolutely incredible staff of the Orlogsmuseet, I was able to see some pictures of the partial models that exist there of the Elben.

Bow and stern. While I'd love a full model, those pictures provided by the museum were more than enough, and gave me what I needed to complete the shape of Civil.



Wait, what?
I am very, very pleased with the results, though admittedly slightly confused by the stern - as no doubt were the British, since all three ships of this semi-class laid in ordinary for years and years. But, as to the name? Well I've decided to change things up. Civil is no longer going to have been a Dromadarie-class, nor even a Danish ship. Instead it's going to have been a (possibly Danish-inspired) VOC ship built in Java - of teak - and set aside for some years due to its odd nature. It then becomes claimed by a Dutch captain who gathers a crew of anti-French Dutch and sails as a privateer pirate, like the Geuzen 200 years before. Now, I admit, I've been hesitant about alt-history before, but I'm giving way, a little, with this ship. I've just so fallen in love with it, I'm allowing myself some romantic notions about its history and career.

As to the name, in one version of the song or legend of Heer Halewijn - an evil king who ensnares maidens with his magical song - the maiden who frees herself and kills him is named Machteld. What better inspiration for Dutch rebels against Napoleon? Again, very romantic, I grant, but so sue me.


No comments:

Post a Comment