Wednesday 20 July 2016

Machtold off

So Machteld doesn't entirely make sense, from a quote-unquote lore standpoint.

There was no Dutch colonial shipbuilding, or at least, no large-scale shipbuilding. Not that I can find. The only substantiated evidence I can find at ALL is that there wasn't, so, I have to back that, instead of the occasional article that says "the VOC used teak for shipbuilding." And I suppose they did use it for repairs.

But I found a very vague reference about Hohlenberg "confess[ing to] having been inspired by a Dutchman" regarding his pinched stern, which Machteld sports. So I mean... I'm willing to accept that the ship was built by a private yard, in the Netherlands, of transported teak, and just discarded because of its weirdness until our brave captain got a hold of it back in the East Indies.

It just... isn't entirely historically accurate. But I suppose I can always just make a whole fake setting inspired by the Napoleonic Wars/the Age of Sail.

Hmmm....

No comments:

Post a Comment